At a special meeting of electors on May 20, 2022, the Marshall Town Board was empowered to demolish the old town hall, with an effort to save or repurpose as much of the material as possible, and to spend the funds necessary to create a new town hall.
This is the first in a series of posts about the demolition of the old town hall. Future posts will continue the story with information about the project to construct a new building.
The old town hall was built in 1881 as a church for the United Brethren congregation for a cost of $2000, on land purchased from Elias Gillingham. Thomas Gillingham was a leading factor in building the church, keeping it up, and financially supporting the congregation.
In 1976 the building was deeded to the township with the following conditions:
1. No alcoholic beverages sold or used
2. Premises to be used for purpose of a town hall and other related uses of the township and any successor municipalities
3. Not to be used for religious meetings or purposes
Visit the Marshall Township News group for additional information and discussion about the town hall demolition and ongoing development of a new building. This is a resident-organized public Facebook group, created to encourage positive communication, neighborly connections, and information sharing for those living in Marshall Township.